Around this time of year thefts usually increase. Here are a few tips to help prevent you from becoming a victim after the holidays.
- Remember to always be aware of your surroundings. Always lock your doors, even when your car is in your driveway or garage. Thieves can tamper with your garage door and may gain access inside. If this happens, locking your vehicle doors could prevent a further theft from occurring.
- When shopping place all store bags and items purchased in your car’s trunk so that they are out of sight to those passing by.
- Don’t leave your purse in the shopping cart unattended. Try securing your purse with the child safety belt on the cart. If someone tries to snatch your purse, the whole cart will have to come with it.
- Be sure to lock your windows and don’t announce when you or your family will be out of town on social media. This is a direct invitation for thieves to capitalize on your absence.
- Make sure to document the serial numbers for your appliances or firearms, in case of a theft, local law enforcement may be able to track your stolen items if you have the serial numbers on hand.
- Finally, don’t advertise your gifts to the whole neighborhood by leaving empty boxes by your curb waiting for the trash.